Thursday, November 16, 2006

An Apple a day..

Just returned, after finishing an exam. End sems chaalu, finished two, many more to go! Feeling quite relaxed during exams this sem, quite a change from my BSc days, where my exams would spell sleepless nights for the whole family! Last minute prep, endless cups of coffee, late nights and a lot of pestering amma.. "Amma, layek zatta nave?? " :D Praying, bribing God, 'pls pls, see me through this time round, I promise I ll be better prepared from the next time' !! Now it all seems like a dream, one you remember with fond feelings and a smile on your face....

Exam time now means, lukkha in the evening, sleep a while, listen to some music, an early dinner, then sit down to study... couple of hours down, go into Rash's room, gappe for a while, with prolly a coffee and even, a Maggi to follow! Back to study.. sleep in the early morn, wake up after couple more hours ..Gone are the days when staying up till 3 AM was a herculean task, which won admiring glances in your friends' circle.. Now the phrase 'night out' is as common as 'hi' or 'good luck' :) .. Study hard through the morn, a bit of nbd (come on, you cant have exams without a bit of ndb :D) .. then, it is exam time!! The paper's generally not bad.. and with the relative grading system, if your paper is going bad, you just hope so is everyone else's! :D All's well, that ends well.. and, the exam is done!!

Enough about exams for now, time to justify the title of the post :) Been listening to Fiona Apple, and, Am I hooked, or what!! This lady has an amazing voice - mezzo-soprano - and her songs have extremely powerful lyrics. A welcome change from hip-hop teengirl stuff that most female popstars do. Her style of singing is great as well.. lots of 'gamaka' [dont know how else to put it! ] . Listeing to "paper bag" now.. Here are the lyrics :

"Paper Bag"

I was staring at the sky, just looking for a star
To pray on, or wish on, or something like that
I was having a sweet fix of a daydream of a boy
Whose reality I knew, was a hopeless to be had
But then the dove of hope began its downward slope
And I believed for a moment that my chances
Were approaching to be grabbed
But as it came down near, so did a weary tear
I thought it was a bird, but it was just a paper bag
Hunger hurts, and I want him so bad, oh it kills
'Cause I know I'm a mess he don't wanna clean up
I got to fold 'cause these hands are too shaky to hold
Hunger hurts, but starving works, when it costs too much to love
And I went crazy again today, looking for a strand to climb
Looking for a little hope
Baby said he couldn't stay, wouldn't put his lips to mine,
And a fail to kiss is a fail to cope
I said, 'Honey, I don't feel so good, don't feel justified
Come on put a little love here in my void,' he said
'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it I thought he was a man
But he was just a little boy
Hunger hurts, and I want him so bad, oh it kills
'Cause I know I'm a mess he don't wanna clean up
I got to fold 'cause these hands are too shaky to hold
Hunger hurts, but starving works, when it costs too much to love

This lady's a gem!!! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you listen to Love Ridden?

.. love ridden I will look at you, with the focus I gave to my birthday candles.. wished on the little blue flame, under your brow.. baby I wished for you.


another pearl.